Realview App ID: 5212100898
Say what... Magazine : 1611
PAG E 18 Say what... Digital Magazine • Issue 35 • November 2016 • • http://saywhat.nz PETS ARE SAFER INDOORS Explosions of light and sound are entertaining to adults and kids alike, but cats and dogs are not great fans of the sudden outbursts fireworks often put out. Well before the fireworks start popping, it's a good idea to bring your pets indoors, give them a nice, comforting place to sleep through it all, and make sure there is plenty of water - pets can dehydrate really quickly when they stress. Food can help too. If you have particularly nervy pets, such as small dogs or old cats, you may want to look into products like Sedapet - a natural homoeopathic relaxant spray for cats and dogs. A CLEAR AND OPEN AREA Nothing ruins some good pyrotechnic fun like setting fire to the shed, the washing, that pile of wind-blown paper in the corner, or anything else really. Ensure that you set off your fireworks in an area that is clear of anything that might catch fire - dry grass is probably the worst! If your lawn is looking a little dry, run the sprinkler over it for half an hour before you plan to start, so that it is nice and damp, and set your fireworks up in a bucket of sand in the middle of the yard to keep them stable and their feet dry. EXTINGUISHER The first, and most important, piece of pyrotechnic equipment is a good fire extinguisher. A garden hose will do in most cases, but a proper extinguisher is ideal. There are many types, but the Dry Powder/ABE, Water or Foam types are the best for solid-fuel chemical fires. DO NOT use the extinguisher if it has a BLACK indicator on the label, as this denotes the Carbon Dioxide type, which are not suited to putting out solid-fuel fires. Of all the types, the Dry Powder/ABE type, marked with a BLUE indicator, is the most versatile and safest one for this use. A bucket of sand is also good to have on hand. ONCE LIT, BE SHY ALWAYS light fireworks one at a time! Once you have ignited a fuse, you should assume the firework is going to go off eventually... it might be when you expect it to, or it might be when you walk over to check on it. And of course, NEVER hold a firework! Even top-quality fireworks can have slow fuses, so NEVER return to a firework to check on it. If in doubt, grab the hose and soak it for 5-10 minutes solid before approaching. If you have the space, always light fireworks at least 2m from the last successful one in case of sparks. FIREWORKS SAFETY Fireworks are fun, spectacular and even thrilling... but they are also very dangerous - even lethal - if treated incorrectly. Be smart with them!